Thursday, September 30, 2010

MSU v wisky

I really do not have a lot to say about last week's game against northern colorado. First, I didn't see it. Second, it was like a scrimmage against a pretty good high school team. Really, it is a joke to charge fans full price for these games and equally a joke to include the results in any ranking. I also don't really care for playing games like this leading in to more serious play. I don't buy the confidence builder argument, either. The only upside I see is getting healthy. MSU wasn't really hurting.

But here we are. Wisconsin comes to town this weekend for a matchup of unbeatens. The teams both also happen to be unproven, struggling at times against lesser talent and beating up on cupcakes (70-3? Really?).

I maintain that Wisconsin is not flashy nor terribly impressive in any one facet of the game. However, as ND showed against MSU, it is all about matchups. Style, goals, and talent matchups. Unfortunately, although not flashy, Wisconsin is a more solid version of MSU, at least where it matters: in the trenches.

I like MSU's receivers, running backs, and tight ends better. Honestly, I don't think Tolzien is that much better than Cousins. I do recognize that Cousins has not played very well this season, and certainly not under pressure. I like MSU punting and kick returning better, and I like MSU's linebacking group better. Wisconsin wins every other matchup. The OLine, Dline, kicking, and secondary are all better for the badgers. The Oline and Dline talent gap, especially the gap between UW's Oline and MSU's Dline* is significant.

That said, with any improvement in the MSU secondary, I like MSU's chances in this game. I think a fast start in scoring by both team will fall in to a run the ball, time of possession, field position game decided by special teams. Punt returns, kick returns, and punting will make the difference. Although, if MSU has 11 penalties again this won't even be close.

my best:

MSU - 31
UW - 27

*with the exception of Jerel Worthy. He will play on Sundays. I would almost bet he plays on Sundays next season. The only reason he doesn't look more dominant is the lack of pass rush from everyone else.

1 comment:

Justin said...

I hope you're right, but I'm not as confident. I agree that both coaches think they want this to be a pound-town time of possession game, but given Wisky's dominance in the trenches (on both sides of the ball, I think we loose if we play along. I think we need to take the reigns of Cousins early and often and get a quick two score lead before starting the grind. But we wont do that, so I'm calling our first loss: 31-21.