Saturday, October 6, 2012

MSU v IU : woo...hoo?

I would be lying if I said I was looking forward to this game. I would also be lying if I said MSU football has been watchable.  The defense has been somewhat better than good, but nowhere near great.  The offense has been every bit as bad as people have complained, and then some.

I'm waiting for Gholston and company to have a breakout and truly harass a QB.  I'm waiting to see the corners and safeties frustrate the QB and come up with multiple picks, tips, breakups, and blitzes.  So far the defense has been very good at controlling the scoreboard (most points have come on short field scores because of the offense) but not individually dominant.  Almost a bend don't break mentality.  Everything comes together when you get a push on the defensive line; the QB has less time, he gets worried, he dumps quick passes, the corners and safeties can play more on talent and instinct than discipline.  That hasn't happened much yet.

I'm waiting for the offense to show some life, period.  The problem is the same on both sides of the ball: the lines aren't getting any push.  The offensive line has been abysmal.  So routes aren't crisp, throws aren't always great (or are perfectly placed and timed but too hard for new receivers) and the running game earns every inch.  This was supposed to be the strength of this team between talent and depth.  Neither the talent nor the depth have proven to be quite as good as advertised.

Indiana is an interesting team.  I mean, I'm sure Indiana is an interesting team.  Right?  Let's just agree that something interesting is going on down there in Hoosier land.  Their best (and only) hope this year, QB Tre Roberson, was out early with a season ending injury.  Sort of like the Hoosier's without Jimmy Chitwood.  It isn't pretty.

Things to watch this week: who is the best team in the B10?  Watch Purdue, Ohio State, and Nebraska.  The best team in the B10 is between the winner or OSU/Huskers and Purdue, should they beat mushagain.  And I truly think Purdue will beat mushagain.

Back to the game at hand.  Teams score on Indiana at will.  I mean, they gave up 85 points the last two weeks, including allowing 41 against Ball State.  Make it:

MSU - 38
Hoopsters: 17

No comments: