Friday, October 24, 2008

MSU v U of mush-again

The leaves are falling, Halloween is around the corner, and Michigan State plays michigan this week.  Outside of basketball season this is my favorite time of the year.

michigan is not a very good football team.  They have great individual players but as far as teams go, michigan is bad.  The one thing that makes this michigan team look vintage is the defense.  Much like the Ohio State team last week, people expected more from the loaded roster in ann arbor.  Lets hope (for a second week in a row) another team doesn't find their rythm.  

I don't know what to think about Hoyer.  I mean, I know what to think, but now I'm in the majority.  I always stop to question myself when I'm in the extreme majority.  Pointing at B. Hoyer as the problem is en vogue.  I have not liked him for a long, long time (see: day one).  Not because he's bad but because he is predictable, safe, and underwhelming.  Those things are fine when they come along with being technically sound and consistent.  He just plain misses throws and holds the ball too long.  Let's hope all the rave reviews were more than just hot air to boost his ego.  Hoyer will need to have a big game.

Ringer will have trouble finding space early in the game unless the passing game is at least a threat.  Ringer is strong and has amazing stamina.  He should break 100 yards by the 3rd quarter if the rest of the team makes catches and doesn't fumble.  I think last week could have been a lot different minus the big turnovers.

I look for an emotional bounce back game from MSU.  We are coming off an ugly game against OSU that the team would like to erase.  Mike Midget Hart ran his mouth last year after squeaking out another win (which, w/ top 10 recruiting classes each year for the last 10, you would think Michigan could win a few more games.  But that's for another day).  Dantonio knows the effect an MSU win would have on recruiting.  Rodriguez is a turd.  That really has no bearing on the game but needed to be said.  Finally, B. Hoyer needs this and Ringer WANTS this.  

McGuffe is a fast back but appears to be soft.  I expect him to get hit by Ware a few times (bad news, he's a safety/corner) early and Greg Jones and Trevor Anderson (in the backfield or after modest gains) as the game wears on.

Make it:

MSU - 21
michigan - 17 


No comments: