Friday, November 27, 2009

Reffing

I don't know if I am simply paying more attention this year or if the calls are actually getting worse. Across all sports, college and pro, I can't recall more bad, bad calls in one year. Despite the implementation of replay systems in most major sports the calls have somehow gotten worse.

The MSU Purdue game was bad. Every week in the Big10 I see at least one terrible call that is not only contrary to what obviously happened, but at times contrary to the rules. Indiana got hosed weekly. MSU was on both sides of at least a dozen horrendous calls this season. Hopefully basketball is better.

The early indicators aren't good. The MSU Gonzaga game was one of the worst officiated games in years. It is pretty easy to slow down the MSU break when you 1. are over the back (with no calls) on every rebound, 2. hack the hell out of the rebounder if he does somehow get the rebound, 3. hack the outlet guard, 4. hand check the guard all the way down the floor.

I would estimate that about 1/3 of the refs I've seen this year are veterans. There are a lot of new faces. Perhaps the regular season will see a return to the not so good but at least consistent zebras of years past.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your favorite Philadelphian (and wife) was at the MSU/Florida game last night and that was the first time I have seen a backcourt violation called with 26 seconds left on the shot clock. This was just one of many, many questionable calls/no calls. Brutal...wish I had brought my seat cushion.